Sunday, February 10, 2013

Creating Books with Wikijunior

I spent some time exploring Wikijunior today and it seems a great way to motivate kids into exploring the world of non fiction by great books on topics that interest them.  I wasnt thrilled however, in the formatting of it.  For example, when viewing it as a PDF it was a tedious chore to scroll each page.  I did try other options, but I was wondering if there was one that I missed that actually read like a book.  For example, when Im on Amazon and want to preview a book, it shows me the first few pages, and actually shows the page turning.  Seems ridiculous I know, but I would enjoy more if it had the feel of a book as opposed to a slide show.  I do like that others can add to each book, however, the skeptic in my does worry about misleading or incorrect information could appear on a book that a student has put their own name on.  Is there a program that can be implemented that checks facts, or is this something the student would have to continually check themselves to verify information.

If anyone has used wikijunior to create a book - I'd love to hear how it worked out in your class.  I have several students working on independent projects right now and it seems like it would be fun to correlate this with their work.  

1 comment:

  1. I checked out wikijunior too, a couple weeks ago, and I was totally turned off by it. It actually made me a little nervous to use wikis because it seemed like you needed to know computer code to use it, and I didn't. I liked the idea of allowing kids to add information to it, but in the end I decided it was too complicated and that I would just use wikispaces. I know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete