Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Diigo

In regards to how I am managing Diigo, I have to say that right now, I am using it minimally.  I do see the value of adding web pages that are useful to you and your students, as often, when I go to return to a sight (especially if it is posted by a school) either the web address has changed or site has been discontinued.  This frustrates me.  Hopefully as I continue to add bookmarks to Diigo, I will begin to rely more on it.  It is also nice to have everything in one place.  A few Questions:

Is it possible to group your book marks into categories and/or folders so it is even more accessible?

Is it possible to view other's diigo page to add sites that may be helpful to align with the units taught in your class?     or

Are others allowed to view your Diigo Acct and make suggestions?

This would also be extremely helpful.  If anyone know - please relay all info.  Thanks so much!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,

    A few responses.

    The tagging feature in Diigo is key. You create a way then to search for your bookmarks by the tags you use. It works a bit like an online database.

    I will be demonstrating in class how to join a group on Diigo to share bookmarks. I have set up a group for students in our classes to share pertinent bookmarks.

    You can mark bookmarks as Private if you don't want them to be visible to others. You can also set up your Diigo Library as private, so all bookmarks are only seen by you. However, that also defeats the purpose of using your bookmarks with others. Let's say, you tag saved bookmarks with "Civil War." If you search your Diigo Library using the term "Civil War" once you have a few entries in with that tag term, then a window will pop up with just the bookmarks that have this tag. You can use the URL for this page, and you can share that URL with your students or whomever you chose.

    Here is an example from my library to illustrate the point. I am sending you a link. This link came up when I searched my Google Library using the search term "Social Studies," and these are all the bookmarks I have with that tag.

    http://www.diigo.com/user/educ570/%22social%20studies%22

    Copy and paste that URL into your browser window, and you should see all of my Social Studies bookmarked sites in Diigo/

    You can send me an email to let me know of the link worked for you.

    If I were to use this link on a website, I would make it a hyperlink, such as using the text

    My Social Studies Resources

    That phrase would be highlighted and then turned into a hyperlink using the URL you see above. However, in the Comment section, I cannot easily make a hyperlink.

    You will get the knack of Diigo the more you use and the more you ask questions about it.

    In the meantime, feel free to search in my Diigo Library for resources of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, you can create Lists on Diigo to group your bookmarks. For instance, you can have a List for Social Studies, one for Language Arts, etc. Some students in the W. Hartford Cohort have been using Diigo that way, and they like that feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking this class on campus and we are moving at a slower pace than the chorts so I have just begun exploring Diigo. Your post on the topic was very helpful in understanding some of the basics of this feature. Thanks for your insights.

    ReplyDelete